It’s December, so I went through my social media feeds and grabbed all the MicroStories I tweeted during the month of November. As a reminder, these represent story-essences composed in 140 characters (so I could tweet them with the hashtag #MicroStory.)
I should have been working on a novel, since it was NaNoWriMo. I needed NaNoWriMoTime.
For really great #MicroStory action, please follow @MicroSFF, the twitter account that inspired me to participate in this minimalist writing exercise. That feed puts out great science fiction and fantasy MicroStories all the time.
- I was dealing with reports on three robicides, when the chief introduced me to my new partner.
My new human partner.
I’m in 7734
- The witch was surprised.
“Just because I’ve guarded this tomb for years doesn’t mean I’m a demon. It just means I’m reliable.”
- Gently, the wizard touched the sealed lid of the huge urn.
“They call it a dragon egg,” he muttered.
“It’s much, much worse.”
- Dragons only live for weeks while awake, but can sleep forever. While they sleep they dream. They dream of being human.
- “My parents just don’t understand that I don’t need to be in a committed long-term relationship with a robot.”
- I’m a photosynthetarian, I don’t eat meat, vegetables, or grains. Except in the winter.
I should really move south.
- The demon said it’d grant me three wishes. I told it I wished for zero wishes, and then its head exploded.
- She aimed at 1 of the 3 orcs by the campfire, but her sister motioned for her to halt.
“Those are Gnarly’s angels”, she warned.
- I set down the article detailing the excavation of the tomb and started jotting down names.
Time to earn my curse retainer fee.
- The Witch-King regarded the freshly-brewed potion. Once drunk, he would be invulnerable, immune to pain.
- The dog relaxed as the cat explained: the child is having a nightmare.
Go to sleep & hunt, the dog said.
I’ll be here with you.
- Tor fought & killed dozens of elves but Anak fought & let dozens live.
All orcs agreed that Anak was braver & Tor merely wiser.
- Both kings considered the same suggestion from their court-demons: to unleash a magical first strike before the other did.
- On a whim, the king selected a commoner to sit upon the throne & rule for a day.
That was the last time the king had *that* whim.
- The 1st thing the Gammas did upon meeting the astronauts was to offer the secret of FTL drives.
The humans foolishly accepted.
Thanks for reading, some of my friends have surprised me with backstories and odd interpretations of some of the above flash-fiction snippets. That always makes my day, and makes it super-worthwhile for me. If you have any comments, I’d love to hear them.
© Patrick Sponaugle 2013 Some Rights Reserved